Microwave cooking is an excellent way to prepare easy, time-saving and delicious meals for those who lead busy lives or have limited kitchen facilities. In Malaysia, where fast-paced lifestyles are the norm, quick and easy microwave-safe recipes are becoming increasingly popular. These recipes are not only convenient, but they also offer versatility and creativity in cooking. From snacks and side dishes to main courses and desserts, the possibilities for microwave cooking are endless. With a few microwave cooking tips and tricks, anyone can create healthy and satisfying meals in minutes. In this article, we will explore some of the best easy microwave-safe recipes in Malaysia.
Tip #1: Microwave-Safe Mug Recipes
Mug recipes are a fantastic option for anyone looking for quick and easy microwave-safe recipes. Here are some examples:Microwave Banana Nut Oatmeal
- Combine ½ cup oatmeal, ½ cup water and ½ milk in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave on high temperature for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the ½ mashed banana and 1 tablespoon of chopped nuts.
- Microwave for an additional 1-2 minutes or until the banana is melted.
- Combine 1 can of undrained diced tomatoes, 1 can of beans, 1 cup of chopped vegetables (of your choice), 2 cups broth and spices in a large microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave at high temperature for 5-7 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot, topped with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Whisk together ¼ cup flour, ¼ cup granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, ¼ teaspoon baking powder and a pinch of salt in a microwave-safe mug.
- Add ¼ cup of milk, 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, and ¼ vanilla extract and whisk until smooth.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon of chocolate chips, if using.
- Microwave on high temperature for 1-2 minutes, or until the cake is cooked through and springy to the touch.
- Let cool for a minute or two before eating.
The best part about mug recipes is that they save time and energy. A mug recipe can be prepared in minutes and doesn't require as much energy to cook compared to using a conventional stove or oven.
Tip #2: Microwave-Safe Casseroles and Pasta Dishes
Cooking casseroles and pasta dishes in a microwave is a quick and easy way to prepare a delicious meal. To create these dishes, you have to make sure that the dish you use is microwave-safe and won’t crack or shatter under heat. Here are some recipes:Microwave Mac and Cheese
- Combine 2 cups of macaroni, 2 cups of water, and ½ teaspoon salt in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave on high for 8-10 minutes, or until the macaroni is cooked through.
- Drain any excess water.
- Stir in ½ cup of milk, ½ cup of cheddar cheese, ½ cup of mozzarella cheese, and 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Microwave on high for 1-2 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Stir well and serve hot.
- Break 2 lasagna noodles into small pieces and place them in a microwave-safe mug.
- Add ½ cup of tomato sauce and stir well.
- Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes, or until the noodles are cooked through.
- Stir in ¼ cup of ricotta cheese, ¼ cup of mozzarella cheese, 1 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese, ½ oregano and salt and pepper to taste.
- Microwave for an additional 1-2 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Let cool for a minute or two before serving.
- Combine 2 cups of cooked ziti, 1 cup of tomato sauce, ½ cup of ricotta cheese, ½ cup of shredded mozzarella cheese, 1 cup of grated Parmesan cheese, ½ teaspoon of basil, salt and pepper to taste in a microwave-safe casserole dish.
- Microwave on high for 4-5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Let cool for a minute or two before serving.
Using a microwave to cook casseroles and pasta dishes can reduce the amount of time required for cooking and cleaning up, making it an ideal option for busy individuals.
Tip #3: Microwave-Safe Vegetable Recipes
The following recipes are for when you’re craving some greens but are too lazy to cook:Microwave Steamed Vegetables
- Chop your desired vegetables (such as broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower) into bite-sized pieces and place them in a microwave-safe dish.
- Add a tablespoon of water to the dish and cover it with a microwave-safe lid or plastic wrap.
- Microwave the dish on high for 3-5 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Season with salt, pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil before serving.
- Wash and dry 2-3 small potatoes and pierce them with a fork a few times.
- Rub the potatoes with a little bit of olive oil and season with salt, pepper, and dried herbs (such as rosemary or thyme).
- Place the potatoes on a microwave-safe plate and microwave on high for 5-7 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender and cooked through.
- Serve hot with a dollop of sour cream or Greek yoghurt.
- Cut the top off 2 bell peppers and remove the seeds and membranes.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, mix together 1/2 cup of cooked rice, 1/2 cup of cooked ground beef, 1/2 cup of canned diced tomatoes, and 1/4 cup of grated cheese.
- Stuff the mixture into the bell peppers and place them in a microwave-safe dish.
- Use a microwave-safe lid to cover the dish and heat it up for 5-7 minutes, or until the peppers are tender and the filling is hot and bubbly.
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley before serving.
Tip #4: Microwave-Safe Dessert Recipes
Creating desserts that can be easily prepared in a microwave is a great option for those short on time or without access to traditional baking equipment. Some easy microwave dessert options include mug cakes, fudgy brownies, and fruit crisps. When making microwave desserts, be sure to use microwave-safe dishes and follow the recipe instructions carefully.Microwave Chocolate Lava Cake
- In a microwave-safe mug, whisk together ¼ cup of flour, ¼ cup of granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder, ¼ teaspoon of baking powder, and a pinch of salt in a microwave-safe mug.
- Add in 3 tablespoons of milk, 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, and ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract, and whisk until smooth.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon of semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute and 30 seconds, or until the cake is set but still moist.
- Dust with powdered sugar before serving (optional).
- Toss together 2 cups of peeled and chopped apples, ¼ cup of all-purpose flour, ¼ cup of brown sugar, ¼ cup of rolled oats, ¼ cup of walnuts, ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon, and 2 tablespoons of softened unsalted butter until evenly coated in a microwave-safe dish.
- Microwave on high for 5-6 minutes, or until the apples are tender and the topping is golden brown.
- Serve warm with 1 scoop of vanilla ice cream (optional).
- Stir together ½ cup of white rice, 2 cups of milk, ¼ cup of granulated sugar, ¼ teaspoon of ground cinnamon, and ¼ teaspoon of salt in a microwave-safe dish.
- Microwave on high for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce power to 50% and microwave for an additional 30-40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, or until the rice is cooked and the pudding is thick and creamy.
- Stir in vanilla extract and serve warm, garnished with raisins (optional).
Using a microwave to cook desserts can save time and energy compared to traditional baking methods. Microwave desserts often require less preparation time and have shorter cooking times, allowing you to enjoy your sweet treat in just a few minutes.
In conclusion, creating microwave-safe recipes is an easy and convenient way to prepare delicious meals and snacks, even when you're short on time. From mac and cheese to chocolate lava cake and rice pudding, there are countless options for quick and easy microwave recipes in Malaysia.